Here you go, another "Recipe of the Day."
This is a very easy and delicious way to prepare a low fat, high protein dish and an unique way to serve tofu. Can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish. It is also a great way to use the fresh herbs you are growing in your garden.
Baked Italian Tofu
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 12 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Course: Main meals, appetizers
- 1 pound firm tofu, well drained
- 1 cup basil, fresh leaves
- 1 cup fresh oregano, fresh leaves
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 serving Kirkland Organic No-salt Seasoning, (2 teaspoons)
- 2 clove garlic clove(s), finely minced
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
*C.S.A : consumer supported agriculture; a subscription to fresh food from local farms.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season a pizza stone or baking pan with the olive oil and set aside.
- Slice one pound of firm tofu in slices 1/2" x 1" x 2". (I sliced the block in 1/2" slices and then cut each again long-ways.) Place the slices on a plate over a paper towel. Put another paper towel on top and then set a second heavy plate on top. Let sit for about five to ten minutes to remove moisture. If you are trying to cut down on using paper, then use two clean dish towels.
- Mix water and vinegar in a small bowl. Finely mince the garlic and add it to the water and vinegar. Let sit for five to ten minutes so that flavors combine. (steps 2 and 3 are completed during the same 5 - 10 minute period of time)
- Finely chop the fresh herbs. Add the dried Italian seasoning and the no-salt seasoning to the fresh herbs. Take the top dinner plate off of the tofu and spread the herb mixture evenly on a dinner plate.
- Pour the vinegar, water, garlic mixture onto another dinner plate. Then take four pieces of tofu at a time and place in liquid mixture to coat, pushing gently to pick up garlic. Then gently press the tofu slice into the herbs and turn to coat.
- Place the tofu pieces as they are coated with herbs onto the baking pan you have coated with olive oil. After all the pieces have been coated and placed on the pan, put the pan in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven when lightly browned and serve warm with Marinara Sauce.
Buzz it up